- This event has passed.
Sidewalk Chalk Art Competition at Lumberman’s Monument
July 5 @ 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Beginning at 1 p.m., teams of two to five participants will have one hour to draw the most patriotic Smokey Bear. Smokey himself will judge the competition!
To reserve a sidewalk square, call (989) 362-8961. The competition is free and open to the public. Chalk will be provided, and in the event of rain the competition will be moved to July 10.
The sidewalk chalk competition won’t be the only fun and exciting event at Lumberman’s Monument this summer. The Forest Service will also offer a series of interpretive programs, including:
- Kid’s Day: Life of a Wildland Fighter
- Date: July 2 at 1:00 p.m.
- Details: Kids will learn about fire shelters, Pulaskis, and other wildland firefighting tools. Watch for a special appearance by Smokey Bear!
- Shanty Boy – A Presentation by Michael Deren
- Date: July 6 at 1:00 p.m.
- Details: History comes alive as Michael Deren, playing lumberjack/shanty boy Jim Murphy, recreates the great lumber boom of the 19th century.
- Vampire Fish
- Date: July 16 at 1:00 p.m.
- Details: Andrea Miehls of the Great Lakes Fishery Commission will teach participants about the blood-sucking sea lamprey and other invasive species in the Great Lakes.
- Junior Forest Ranger Program
- Date: July 17 at 1:00 to 3:30 p.m.
- Details: Kids age 6-12 will have the opportunity to earn Junior Forest Ranger badges and help Smokey Bear prevent wildfires. Call (989) 362-8961 to register by July 3.
These free programs will be held at Lumberman’s Monument, 5401 Monument Road, Oscoda, Michigan. Voluntary donations will be accepted in the visitor’s center to help cover operating costs. Children must be accompanied by an adult.
**Events listed on the Oscoda~AuSable Chamber of Commerce website may change due to unfavorable weather conditions and/or unforeseeable events. Therefore, dates and times may be subject to change, please call the event coordinator to verify calendar information.